This should be a fairly simple process, I don't really know what I am
missing.

I've got the following in the .bash_profile of a basic user account:

# set prompt [EMAIL PROTECTED]/dir] $ (# for root)
PS1 = ' [EMAIL PROTECTED] '
case `id -u` in
      0) PS1='${PS1} # ';; # root
      *) PS1='${PS1} $ ';; # everyone else

When I log in, I am greeted with:
${PS1} $ $

However, if I su to root, I get:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] /home/user]#

That is what I wanted, but for some reason it is not working for a
normal user.  I thought perhaps the problem could be that .bash_profile
is only loaded when a non-login shell is spawned, but a quick
consultation of man bash revealed that bash reads ~/.bash_profile when
it is invoked as a login shell.

My next thought was that it was a permissions issue, but:
su
chmod 777 .bash_profile
exit
logout
login

That did not change the results, the output was still the same as above.
 This is all being done at the console, by the way.

Appreciate any advice,

montag