On Thu, 15 May 2008 at 14:16 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] confabulated:

David Kelly wrote:
Its PC commodity-grade. Not all that unusual even for stuff sold
claiming to be a "server". This is in no small part why ntpd exists.

nptd calculates a correction coefficient and (under FreeBSD) stores it
in /var/db/ntpd.drift for use on next start so as to more quickly
establish a lock.

So in short ntpd calibrates your clock in order to minimize the
corrections required. Is The Right Thing To Do.

We run a large number of FreeBSD servers under vmware. We've seen ntpd
silently die, because the drift becomes "insane." What do others do in
this situation? (We've resorted to croning ntpdate for VMs.)

I've also found running FreeBSD 6.2, 6.1 and 6.0 in VMWare, I've had to reduce kern.hz in /boot/loader.conf. I had to reduce it to 50. Otherwise the clock really lost time.