Oliver Howe wrote:

> I bought a new storage server and installed freebsd7 onto it.
> it came with two raid partitions, one of 32GB which i used
> for the o/s and one of 4.7TB which i am planning to use as a
> nfs partition. everything went fine during the install, fdisk
> said that there was 4.7TB on the second partition which i
> labelled "/export". but when the machine booted up and i did
> df -h it said that that partition only has 61GB and not 4.7TB

As others have pointed out, fdisk is not able to handle partitions this
big.

You need to:
1. umount /export
2. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 bs=64k count=1
3. gpt create /dev/da1
4. gpt add /dev/da1
5. newfs -O2 -U /dev/da1p1
6. edit your /etc/fstab and change /dev/da1s1d to /dev/da1p1
7. mount /export
8. be happy!

The GENERIC kernel comes with GEOM_PART_GPT support so there is no need
to load any kernel modules or recompile your kernel to get this to work.

(Step #2 above is probably overkill. It erases the old disklabel so that
your /dev/da1?? devices disappear.)

Beware that running fsck on a 4.7TB partition will take a REALLY long
time. If you run FreeBSD 7 in 64 bit mode (amd64), and you really should
with 16 GB of memory, then I would recommend using ZFS instead of UFS.

For ZFS you would do something like this:
1. umount /export
2. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 bs=64k count=1
3. zpool create tank /dev/da1
4. edit /boot/loader.conf and add something like this:
vm.kmem_size="1024M"
vm.kmem_size_max="1024M"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="512M"
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=1
5. edit /etc/rc.conf and add zfs_enable="YES"
6. reboot
7. be happy!

(With 16 GB memory you can probably use larger values for slightly
better performance in step #4 above.)

/Daniel Eriksson