On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 12:51:24AM +0100, Frank Shute wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 10:25:37PM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking for an easier way to insert interrobangs and other non-ASCII
> > characters (em-dashes, et cetera) into text on my FreeBSD laptop than by
> > way of copy/paste.  Any recommendations?  A hunt-and-select clicky GUI
> > probably wouldn't be any better than just copy/paste, but something like
> > holding down Alt while typing 8253 might be an improvement.
> >

> You can get multibyte characters in vim, if $TERM is something
> sensible like xterm and you use a font with the characters in it. See:

I tend to use rxvt-unicode which, judging by my results (see below), must
be a "sensible" terminal emulator.

> :help dig
>
> in vim. E.g:
>
> ^k DG -> ° (degree)
> ^k Cu -> € (euro) (in: iso8859-15)
> ^k Co -> © (company)
> ^k o: -> ö (o umlaut)
>
> You can also call them by number but I find the 2 characters easier to
> remember.

Excellent!  This works well for me.  Thanks for the tip.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
MacUser, Nov. 1990: "There comes a time in the history of any project when