I have two home servers, on different locations, on two ADSL lines using
dynamic DNS. One is running Debian, the other FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE.

I usually ssh from one to the other. Today, the debian server had a
public (internet) IP ending in 255. The FreeBSD 7.0 system refused to
communicate with it. Another 6.3 system had no problem. The 6.3 and 7.0

doesn't your 7.0 system has same first 3 bytes of IP, and badly set netmask to /24 instead of narrower?

i don't think it's freebsd version dependent, unless developers made a bug.