What are the rules dictating where core files are output? Is there a way to
setup an output directory? I know that a bash shell allow you to set a limit on
the size, but that seems to be all. If they are output to an applications
working directory, I might need to write an exec wrapper script such that all
applications are running from designated directory.

The reason I ask is that I'm in the process of recreating my system and
determining which directories on the system need to be set as writeable. So
far, I'm setting allowing write access to:

/home
/tmp
/var

Also, I understand that the procfs provides additional information about the
system's running processes. What are the benefits and disadvantages to using
this file system? It appears that the FreeBSD 7.0 Release does not enable
procfs by default. Why would someone want to enable this feature?

stonee