On May 19, 2008, at 10:16 AM, Gunther Mayer wrote:

Hi there,

I couldn't quite believe it when I saw it. I received an email from cron stating

Assertion failed: (0 && "The impossible happened, committing suicide"), function load_plist, file store_txt.c, line 840.
Abort trap

Obviously a developer's joke, but I'm concerned that there might be a real problem. Would anybody here have any clue as to why this would occur?

This happened when executing the following daily (early morning) job on our development server:

portsnap cron update >/dev/null && portsdb -u 2>/dev/null && [ $(hostname) = mydevserver ] && portsearch -u

The hostname check we have in there is necessary because while portsearch is handy, it's very resource hungry and thus only tolerable in a testing environment - we share the crontab through svn between our live and dev box.

I've now received the same output twice - once yesterday morning and once this morning, chances are I'll get the same tomorrow again...

Gunther

It looks like portsearch is where the assertion fails. With a cursory look, you have a bad plist file for some port and portsearch just dies when it gets bad input. The "best" thing to do would be to patch portsearch to figure out what file is causing the problem, `s->plist_fn`, and either delete it(assuming portsearch updates it, since I seem to have few files starting with plist and it looks as though it's trying to load a file named plist I'm assuming it's controlled by portsearch) or just reinstall portsearch.

But as I said, I just did a cursory look, and I don't use portsearch, so I'm only looking at the source code.