Matthias Apitz wrote:
El día Friday, January 18, 2008 a las 10:41:28PM -0500, Garance A Drosehn
escribió:

At 9:14 AM -0500 1/2/08, Ed Maste wrote:
On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 06:20:22PM +0000, James Jeffery wrote:

Before i end the toipic, anyone got any feeback on the Asus Eee (mini
laptops) with FreeBSD?
It works, but no drivers exist for the wireless or wired Ethernet ports.
The wireless is a newer Atheros part and ath(4) should gain support for
it, but I have no idea what the timeline will be.  The wired Ethernet
is an Atheros (formerly Attansic) L2 10/100, and I'm not aware of any
concrete plans for a driver for it.

I've used a Linksys USB200M USB ethernet (axe(4) driver) with mine and
that works well.
One of the guys I know is running FreeBSD on the Eee, and has written
up the following information for anyone who is interested in doing
what he did:

        http://nighthack.org/wiki/EeeBSD

This includes tips on how to get the wireless working, and sound,
and some oddities with how X11 works.

Thanks for that hint. I'm thinking in buying such a device to have it
with me as a typewriter, mostly; normally I use FreeBSD 7.0-REL on my
laptop with around 200 compiled ports: KDE, OpenOffice, Lyx, StarDict,
the compilation normally takes 2-3 days to have it all ready;

of course, on that limited device with 4 or 8 GByte SSD it is not an
option to compile the stuff up from /usr/ports on the system itself, not
only from the point of view of disk space, but also because of the limited
lifetime write cycles of the SSD;

in short: what would be the easiest way to move the installed ports from
my laptop to such an Eee PC? can I make, for example, packages from my
ports and install them?

Thx

        matthias

[Sending this a second time to the list only, since it had too many recipients the first time and was probably rejected]

I happen to have an eeePC and have successfully installed FreeBSD on it. It can be done in various ways (even without a CDROM, if you have an external USB disk). I can attest the instructions in nighthack.org work: Sound and wireless work fine. There are a few things you can do it to speed it up:

- The SSD is too small for the classic partitioning scheme of FreeBSD. Probably a large '/' partition or a '/' and '/home' will do. Do not use swap.
- Turn of logging (syslogd_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf)
- Edit /etc/ttys and reduce the number of virtual terminals. You probably don't need them. - Do not compile anything on the eee. It wil be a test of its abilities and your patience. Compile the kernel on another a PC and copy it via a USB key. Either use ready made packages (possibly after setting PACKAGESITE to packages-7-stable) or use 'make package' on your main pc to create packages and transfer them. - The eee will happily run X and any environment you choose. I have tried XFCE and GNOME with no problem. More memory will be better, but not absolutely necessary.
- As others have said, the wired LAN does not currently work.
- Note you can install either to SSD or an external SDHC. The SSD is somewhat faster though. (But you can get larger SDHCs). I am dual booting Linux and FreeBSD on mine right now. Linux is on the SSD and FreeBSD on an 8GB SDHC.