Manolis Kiagias wrote:

Don't know about CompuViz, but if you would like to try compiz fusion, I am a bit tempted to point you to this article (maybe because I am the author :)

Ah, compiz - that's what I was thinking of ;-)

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/compiz-fusion/

This will answer your questions on installing nvidia drivers and also getting 3D effects and compiz-fusion to work. Note that there is no nvidia-supplied (read: proprietary) driver for the 64bit version of FreeBSD. The community 'nvidia' driver works fine, although no 3D and 2D performance is somewhat limited. I've used a number of cards with FreeBSD (7300GT, 7300Go (laptop), 6600GT, 6200) and never had problems.

The FX series should also work, but why not buying a newer card? You can get new entry-level nvidia cards for very little money.

Well, it's down to money really but I'll take a look at the price of new cards.

Thanks.

Mark