Chuck Robey wrote:

nej ALL wrote:
Hi,

I'm new on FreeBSD not on unix.

I want to mount automatically an usb-stick memory into my machine ?
I get some problems.

Need help.

You're trying with your devfs stuff to create the file, but you have to realize
it's a device representing a filesystem, not just a file.  What you want to read
is the mount and fstab man pages, mount to find out how to mount your memory
stick, and fstab to figure out how to get it to happen automatically.  The devfs
stuff is all mistaken, I think, you want that when you want to change
permissions or make softlinks of devices, not to create them in the first place,
 least that's how I';'ve always used it, and I know very well that the correct
line in /etc/fstab WILL automount your memory stick.

Are you sure Chuck? The devfs rules stuff is to allow non-root users to
mount removable media isn't it? I followed the instructions at
http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html - the
FreeBSD-specific stuff is near the bottom of the page - but I have
*exactly* the same problem as the OP with my mobile phone.

It is detected as da2 and da3 (phone and memory stick - mine's a SCSI
system so da0 and da1 are the HDDs) but only the top-level device nodes
(/dev/da[23]) are created.

I can try to mount /dev/da3 until I'm blue in the face and it always
fails but as soon as I attempt to mount /dev/da3s1 it fails first time
but succeeds the second time because the /dev/da3s1 device node gets
created on the first (failed) mount attempt.

It doesn't matter whether I have an entry in /etc/fstab for /dev/da3s1
or not, it stills fails, but creates the device, on the first attempt.

Maybe something has changed? The page I linked to above refers to
FreeBSD 5 but I'm running 6.3-STABLE.

Regards,

Mark