At 2008-05-28T23:57:35-07:00, Gary Kline wrote:

> Other than beginning from Zero and trying to determine exactly what
> causes firefox and konq to diverge, do any of you have any other
> ideas?  I've never learned an HTML editors because of the learning
> curve.  But:: if/when I come up with a better design for my home
> page, I'm willing to try again:: any best (simple) HTML editors in
> ports?

My suggestion would be to just write HTML which conforms to a
standard.  For instance, the main page at your Web site
`www.thought.org' declares its DOCTYPE as W3C HTML 4.01 Transitional,
but validating it at http://validator.w3.org/ against that standard
produces several errors.  If all those errors are fixed, your pages
will be rendered properly by all browsers that support these
standards, see, e.g.,

  http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/abdesign3.html
  http://browsehappy.com/browsers/

As for editors, I suggest Emacs with PSGML mode (editors/psgml).
Rather than depending on the validator at W3C, you can install
textproc/opensp, and use onsgmls(1) to validate your HTML documents
without traversing the Internet, with something like

  onsgmls -c ~/catalog -egsu foo.html

HTH,
Raghavendra.

--