On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 05:03:06PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> >Peope have already pointed out that it is a bad idea to
> >allow remote root logins, so I won't repeat that.  :-)
>
> i like bad ideas :) except the worst idea - dumb generalization.
>
> >But to answer your question:  Renaming the "root" account
> >will probably break quite a log of things, for example
>
> make 2 roots, root and homer in /etc/master.passwd
>
> just remember to type
> passwd root
>
> or
>
> passwd homer.

Yes, you can make an alternately named root   (such as toor is just that)
with its own login directory and .cshrc, window manager,  etc

But is still bad to log in directly as any of these roots from a remote
location.   As has been mentioned, you should ssh in to a non-root account
and then su to the root.   You can su to the alternate root and then not
give the main root a password if you like.

////jerry