After a long trail of tears, during which I received significant help from
various kind members of this list. I have discovered the underlying cause
(I'm fairly certain) of my inoperan;e Galeon/Mozilla binaries.

It turns out that something called fc-cache is apparently getting into a
infinite loop.

The bad news is that I can't find any man page, or other documentation on
what this program does, and how to use it. I'm looking for something like a
-v option, so I can try to diagnose where it's looping. It's provide any
the fontconfig port, which is a dependency for both Mozilla, and Galeon,
among others, so I can't just delete this port.

Pointers to docs appreciated.

neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin