On May 31, 2008, at 6:34 PM, Derek Ragona wrote:

At 04:12 PM 5/31/2008, Kurt Buff wrote:
All,

I'm looking to replace my current printer - a Dell 1700n - because I
can't make it work with FreeBSD/Linux.

To replace it, I'd like to get a duplex printer, as I really hate to
waste paper. Does anyone have good experience with one that isn't
terribly expensive (expensive to me means more than US$500) and that
works with with FreeBSD? Even better if it has Ethernet.

I'm only finding (on ostg.pricegrabber.com) the Lexmark Optra T622DN
and T522DN, but don't know much about them.

Anyone care to share?

Kurt

My 2 cents is I'd looks for a printer with a built-in network interface and that has postscript and pcl emulations. In addition look at the replacement toner cost and figure out the cost of ownership across 3-5 years.

I would look at lexmark, and samsung. Lexmark have higher duty cycles (pages per month) and take larger toner cartidges. The samsung's make nice work group low duty cycle printers.

Lexmark and Dell are infamous for expensive toner-lock-ins.

We had this discussion months ago where I recommended a Brother HL-5250DN. I have about 12,000 trouble free pages on mine, just don't bother trying to print envelopes.

Has ethernet, duplex, postscript emulation, PCL-6, just about everything but a paper tray large enough to hold a full ream. Multiple paper trays are an available but expensive and rare option.

Readily available from Staples and other places for $250. Refurbished units occasionally appear for $100. The usual 3rd party toner places have refills for under $20 that I've found are good for about 6,000 dense pages.

$187: http://bensbargains.net/deal/66407/

Staples recently (no longer) had refurbished Brother MFC-8660DN on sale for $200. Appears to be the same printer and features plus scanner with paper feed, and fax.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]