c a r s t e n wrote:
i seem to have managed to get my DSL connection established with ppp, finally. the german T-Online how-to page got me up and running with that. when i dial in with ppp, i get a PPP prompt, ie. all caps, which i presume means that i have a functioning connection.

now i just have to figure out why i cannot browse, but i haven't started examining this problem yet, because i noticed something strange:

at some point ping started returning this error:

ping: sendto: Permission denied

to my knowledge i am not running a firewall like ipfw (nothing related to firewalls in rc.conf), i *am* logged in as root, and the above error message is even returned when i ping localhost!
As root, type "ipfw show"
If this lists rules, you may have inadvertently set yourself up with a
"deny all" firewall.
If you are "not running a firewall" then ipfw will return the error
"ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_GET): Protocol no available"  If you get anything
other than that error message, then it is very likely that you DO have
a firewal, regardless of whatever you have in /etc/rc.conf.

If this is the case, I'd put in rc.conf:
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="OPEN"
which is a quick fix for the issue.

it does the same for my local network card. i suspect something in my ppp fiddling to have done this, because it did work properly earlier (much earlier).
What did you change between when it worked and now?  Or was it too many
things to test them all (hate it when that happens).

does anyone have any ideas not related to firewalls or not being logged in as root?
Well, if you don't like my other answer, you don't have to try it, but I
suggest it because the circumstance you describe seems to indicate that
as the cause.

If this isn't the problem, attach /etc/rc.conf and the output of "ifconfig"
as well as your ppp config files to the next post to the mailing list.
If you built a customer kernel, indicate that and include your kernel
config file as well.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies