On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:44:57PM -0500, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:

> I had a friend help me with this. the trouble is my TERM was set to
> wsvt25 somehow.  and all I had to do was set it to env TERM cons25
> and vim would compile.

You would have expected to get an error message from csh along the
lines of "$TERM not found in /etc/termcap" not "Cannot find
/etc/termcap" wouldn't you?

> I am not even sure what I did to make wsvt25 happen, other than that
> is the terminal setting I use on my OpenBSD firewall (that I have to
> ssh into first before I ssh into my samba server (the one that has
> the termcap problem)

I don't know why it would take OpenBSD's $TERM. ssh should take $TERM
from the target machine (according to the openssh manpage) which is
cons25 by default. Is there a ~/.ssh/environment with $TERM set on
your Samba server?

You might want to set it there for future use to cons25.

> Thank you for all your help

Regards,

--

 Frank