We are using qpage to dial a remote TAP modem (Sprint and Verizon), so
we can send pages about our hosting infrastructure without using the
internet connection.

Recently it started failing consistently with "timeout to connect".
I first suspected the remote modem (Sprint), but found I got the same
result with other carriers. (And Sprint denied a problem on their end).

I have since tried a whole battery of approaches including having the
phone line checked by the local phone company, trying a different modem
and trying a different phone cord.

Trying a new modem (US Robotics external 56k serial modem) did help
slightly. With it, we consistently connnect, but then after a short
pause the connection is dropped. This is easily reproduced  in
"minicom": (Using the Sprint TAP modem number here).

  ATDT18886561727
  CONNECT 31200/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS

  NO CARRIER

I'm out of ideas here. This phone line is only used for this outbound
service, although our alarm system also uses it for outbound alerts.

Any suggestions for possible causes or further troubleshooting
approaches are appreciated.

Thanks!

   Mark