--- On Sun, 6/8/08, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: What consists FreeBSD Libc?
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Date: Sunday, June 8, 2008, 6:37 PM
> Unga wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > What consists FreeBSD Libc (/lib/libc.so.7)? Is it
> only /usr/src/lib/libc/* ?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I have compiled /usr/src/lib/libc/*, the resulting
> libc.so.7 is about 65,000 bytes smaller.
>
> Than what?  It will change depending on your CFLAGS.

Thanks Kris & Wojciech for replies.

Its great to get it confirmed that FreeBSD Libc is only /usr/src/lib/libc/* as
I presumed.

I have compiled and installed the FreeBSD Libc into a temp directory. The size
of /tmp/libc.so.7 is about 65,000 bytes smaller than /lib/libc.so.7.

The /lib/libc.so.7 is dated May 25, 2008. I did not touch CFLAGS or anything
other than DESTDIR. But I really forgot, the gcc version is different. The
/lib/libc.so.7 is by gcc 4.2.1, but the /tmp/libc.so.7 is by gcc 4.3.0. May be
the code generation of the latest gcc may be better.

I think the size difference may not be an issue as the libc is get it compiled
and installed without any error.

The GNU glibc has a "make check", but there is no make check target for FreeBSD
libc. How do you guys test it?  Is the /usr/src/tools/regression/ any help for
that?

Regards
Unga