On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 09:40:17PM -0600, James wrote:
> I have a high pitched whine coming from my motherboard when the EHCI
> USB 2.0 controller is enabled in the BIOS.  The whine only starts once
> FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE is halfway through booting.
>
> The whine also goes away when I plugin a USB drive in with EHCI
> controller enabled (usb keyboard and mouse being already plugged in).
>
> Is this a hardware problem, or could it possibly be software related???

I can't imagine this is a software issue. Sounds strange. Have you
tried to see if it isn't a fan issue? We have some Dell GX280s with a
bad batch of motherboards at my university---under specific conditions
(e.g., using certain video cards) the system fan will spin up 'til the
system sounds like it's about to take off.

Good luck,
~Jason