Uwe Laverenz wrote:
On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 04:23:41PM -0400, Jeff Dickens wrote:

option turned on in ESX's .vmx file, and I have "hint.apic.0.disabled=1" in my FreeBSD guest's /boot/loader.conf.

This shouldn't be necessary in FreeBSD >= 6.2.

hmm.
I used to have "kern.hz=100" in loader.conf, but that caused the guest to gain time even faster.

"100" is ok, I'm using this value on all virtual machines.

Does anyone have a good recipe for decent timekeeping in this config?

Is it possible to upgrade your ESX from 3.0.2 to 3.5x? If not, there is
another setting on the ESX side that helps with timing problems (FreeBSD
or Linux guests): change "Advanced Settings/Misc/Misc.Timer/MinHardPeriod"
from 400 to 100 (this is default on ESX 3.5x).

Unfortunately IBM has not certified my hardware (xSeries 226) with ESX 3.5, and the installation just hangs, so I'm stuck on 3.0.2 for now.

Thanks, I will try that suggestion.

Uwe