I recently removed one pair of disks from a windows "hardware :)" RAID controller, and upon inserting it into a newly built FreeBSD system, it was immediately detected by the ar driver, and messages started coming in, like

is there actually any difference in ar and gmirror/gstripe except that ar is simpler, takes only whole drives and use "hardware RAID ;)" compatible headers ?

make the disks forget about their previous RAID-life:

atacontrol delete ar0

Have a look at man atacontrol. I have not tried it, but it is probably worth a try.