On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 04:27:46PM -0400, Andrew Berry wrote:
> On 10-Jun-08, at 1:47 PM, Chad Perrin wrote:
>
> >I've been sent a vCalendar file via email.  I use mutt as my mail user
> >agent, and am not terribly interested in switching to mail/claws-mail
> >just so I can read this vCalendar file (generated in MS Outlook).
> >
> >Is there some command line tool that will create a readable text file
> >from this, a Mutt extension that can handle it, or anything along
> >those
> >lines, in Ports?  What are my options, besides just deleting all the
> >vCalendar markup cruft by hand (or writing a script to do it for me)?
>
> If you just need to read it, then open it up in a text editor.
> vCalendar / iCalendar markup is pretty simple. Virtually any
> calendaring app should be able to read the file, including Mozilla
> Sunbird, Evolution, Kontact, and so on. There are also web calendars
> such as Webcalendar in ports, or you could just use Google Calendar.
>
> If the sender is expecting a vCal file back to confirm / deny the
> appointment, then you'll need to make sure that you send back a valid
> file.

I find the way it's formatted difficult to parse, particularly when it's
a relatively long and complex file.

I just finished using Perl to create a (better formatted) plain text
version of the file -- and that worked for this one instance.  It seems
odd to me that there isn't a widely distributed console-based program
that can be used to clean up vCalendar files, though.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Philip Machanick: "caution: if you write code like this, immediately