My preferred firewall these days, for general use, is pf.  I seem to
recall someone who has used it in high-load scenarios that it can kinda
choke at high loads, though I don't recall whether that was due to pf
itself or the fact he was running it on OpenBSD.  Until now, this has not
been a concern for me.

it would be good to check out ipfw. at least it's IMHO much cleaner and easier to make rules i need, but it is fast.

but please check, i don't have any side-to-side comparision.
of course it depends how you rules are complicated and how good/bad you will define them.