Actually, I tracked down the guy who had originally given a poor review
of pf performance, and it turns out that the missing part of his review
was related to use of dummynet for bandwidth management.  Since I'm not
planning to use dummynet for bandwidth management, that's not really a
factor we need to consider.  It looks like, at this point, pf is a good
choice.

is there a way to check on running system how much CPU time is used to perform firewalling/traffic manager - be it pf or ipfw?