eculp wrote:
This is on a relatively new Dell dualcore with 4G of ram running up to date stable. I'm not on site so I have no idea what might be provoking these crashes. In fact in many years of running FreeBSD I've not seen something just happen like this. It is a simi-production machine that cvsups daily and builds and installs a new world and kernel. Ports are updated about once a week and haven't seen any issues previously. It has been running 24/7 since new, about 8 months.

3 files were generated info, bounds and vmcore.  The info file follows:

Dump header from device /dev/mfid0s1b
  Architecture: i386
  Architecture Version: 2
  Dump Length: 341225472B (325 MB)
  Blocksize: 512
  Dumptime: Wed Jun 11 12:34:24 2008
  Hostname: casasponti.net
  Magic: FreeBSD Kernel Dump
  Version String: FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #258: Tue Jun 10 05:54:42 CDT 2008
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ENCONTACTO
  Panic String: page fault
  Dump Parity: 2395754794
  Bounds: 2
  Dump Status: good

the vmcore is about 300M so I'm not attaching it;) I could put it on line at a moments notice. I think that what I need is probably a crash course on debugging a crash and I really don't know where to start since after over 10 years with freebsd I've never needed it. Any help, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

See the developers' handbook chapter on kernel debugging.

However, panics that "suddenly" start happening frequently on a system that has been stable for a while with no OS or workload changes made, are usually due to the hardware starting to fail.

Kris