Wojciech Puchar wrote:
Is FreeBSD going to enhance himself on the desktop ? It seems that FreeBSD

i don't understand your question. FreeBSD can run any unix program, be in "server program" or "desktop program" whatever "desktop" means for you.

there is nothing to be enhanced.

I beg to differ. There is far more desktop particularly multimedia development in Linux - lots more people and much wider range of interests. Programs that are not available for FreeBSD include Cinelerra, projectM and (I think, but please prove me wrong) the climateprediction.net BOINC project. If you only want applications that are in the ports tree (and the vast majority are) chances are they are pretty current and work well, in which case FreeBSD makes an easy to maintain, fast, stable desktop.

It depends how much of a hacker you are. If you want out-of-the-box and you don't mind kde then choose between pcbsd or desktopbsd. If you want out-of-the-box and gnome I think you are out of luck. If you don't mind diy FreeBSD is your toolbox.

There was a discussion about this in questions a while back. Look for subject FreeBSD & Linux distro.

Chris