Steve Bertrand wrote:
Dan Nelson wrote:

I'm off to try it. I've got a system here with a da device. I'll fsck up /etc/fstab, reboot, and report back with the appropriate mountroot> prompt entry...

# cat /etc/fstab

# Device Mountpoint FStype Options Dump Pass#
/dev/da0a               /               ufs     rw,noatime      1       1
md /tmp mfs rw,-s32M,nosuid,noatime 0 0

(..snip..)

..change /etc/fstab to mount root to /dev/ad15a, reboot:

mountroot>

# mountroot>ufs:/dev/da0a {ENTER}

...machine boots up.

To the OP...if you know what your disk type is, you CAN get it to continue to mount root at the mountroot prompt.

Furthering that, you can also fsck and mount your other disk mountpoints in order to gain access to your editing binaries.

There is no need to use an external resource to boot the machine from if you are already aware that the only thing that got fsck'd up is the mountpoints in the fstab (or, like in this case, the file was unavailable entirely). The disk structure is still the same, and the system can see this with manual intervention.

OP: at the mountroot> prompt, try this: ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

and see if you get anywhere.

Steve