Helllo....

I understand your problem (I was once a SCO user/programmer....)
well
the easy way is:  a disk of 20GB miminum...
1) Install FreeBSD 7.0 RELEASE (choose your favorite lay out...) that
is /root, /var,swap, /usr
in diferent slices....  swap is about 2Gb...  (later will hold
the /tmp)  /root is 512M... /var is 8Gb (or more ..)
/usr the rest of the disk....
2) during the installation process do not forget to set up the ethernet,
dns...   and install docs,
    kernel sources, and PORTS
3) once the machine boots, and is in internet, setup the timezone using
tzsetup, fix the time using
    ntpdate -t 10 pool.ntp.org...  (this is important....)
4) update the ports with portsnap fetch update .....
5) install some shell with pkg_add -r bash
6) create a super user named admin or whaterver you want....
    echo PASSSSWORD | pw adduser admin -o -u 0 -g wheel
-s /usr/local/bin/bash -h 0
7) logout and login as admin....
8) go to the /usr/ports/www/apache22 and type make package, The system
will build your apache
for you....
9) put "apache22_enable=YES"  in /etc/rc.conf, start it with the
command  /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22 start.

Your are done....

There are 18600 ports you may want to try.....

I use the 64 bits FreeBSD... is very stable and incredible fast.....

Sergio