Modulok wrote:
On 6/13/08, Chris Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Gilles wrote:

Hello

Currently, to find where a software is located under /usr/ports/, I
rune the "find" command. Is there a database that I could query
instead so that it gives out the whole path to that the application?

Have you looked into the whereis(1) command?
-Modulok-

there is alot of differents ways to search for a port that you are looking for. My first suggestion would be to read this article from the freebsd handbook; http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-finding-applications.html . Some people enjoy using some websites to do their searches since they value that more information can be used to search.
Here are some of the sites :
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/
http://www.freshports.org/
http://www.freebsdsoftware.org/

These are ones that come to me as I am writing this, they're are most likely several other websites that will give you some similar information such as these.

I would suggest that you refer to the handbook when you ask yourself questions concerning the operating system. The handbook is a great reference that I even use quite often myself when I am in doubt on a certain subject.

Pascal S. Clermont