RW wrote:

But isn't the normal point of async to avoid having the cpu waiting for
the disk with nothing to do. If there's nothing to block on, the cpu can
be consistently utilized without async. I suppose with SMP it might
help spread the work between cpus, but with a single cpu it seems like
it would just end-up doing the same work in a different order.

Yes, but even on a single CPU your application can potentially dispatch more work in the meantime. e.g. it could be doing other device or network I/O.

Kris