Dear all,

Bill Moran:

My understanding is that RAID 1 no longer works because of this
error. There is a bad sector on HD (Offline uncorrectable sectors)
and the best we can do is replace the drive? Does it make sense to
try to turn RAID 1 on ignoring this error (however, this is done in
BIOS so the machine would have to be taken down in order to do
that)? It seems serious enough for me not to ignore it but then I
know close to nothing about HDs.

Replace the hard drive.  Every modern hard drive keeps extra space
available to "remap" bad sectors.  This happens magically behind the
scenes without you ever knowing about it.  Once you've hit
"uncorrectable" errors, it means your re-mappable sectors are used
up, and that means the drive is on its last legs.

Thank you Bill. One last question. RAID 1 is off now (degraded) and the hosting company is asking if I can try to bring it up (to check if it will work). They have given me this link http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/raid.html. The problem is that as far as I understand we are not using gmirror but RAID 1 turned on in BIOS (although it is also software-based).

Thank you very much in advance!

Zbigniew Szalbot
www.lc-words.com