Hi folks,

Up to now, when I'm installing my FreeBSD boxes I download the latest RELEASE
iso-image for my platform. These days I used 7.0-RELEASE. For security fixes I
use the provided patches as mentioned in the security advisories.

Since a long time I'm asking myself the following questions and I don't find
answers in the handbook (e.g.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/article.html) or
other ressources:

1. Some SA's say that the a bug is corrected in a particular RELENG or RELEASE
or a patched RELEASE. For example FreeBSD-SA-08:05.openssh states that
>>RELENG_7_0, 7.0-RELEASE-p1<<. But where can I get a -p1??? I've never seen
iso-images for a x.y-RELEASE-pnn. Is this the time where I need to build a
release (as iso-image) by myself? If so, what branch-tag do I need to get
7.0-RELEASE-p1?

2. I understood that there are two different development branches, >>HEAD aka
CURRENT<< and >>STABLE<<. I avoid using these branches because I'm not a
developer. Thats the reason why I only want to use RELEASES. But what the hell
is a "RELENG"??? Why are these things not called 7.0-CURRENT or 7.0-STABLE and
so on (and 7.0-RELEASE for me)? Maybe I've a problem to understand this because
I'm not really familar with CVSup.

3. I played around with jails these days and I had my first contact with "make
world". Despite the inconsistencies in the handbook where the jail-chapter
instructs to use "make world" and the rebuilding world part warns explicitly
and proposes "make buildworld" (but the Makefile tells me that the target
>>world<< stands for "buildworld + installworld, no kernel" which seems
okay?!), does it make sense to use "make buildworld" also when I'm not updating
to another RELEASE? As it compiles everything on my machine (it autodetects my
CPU and features?!) I guess the system should perform better?! Is it possible
or common to update to the latest source tree (where latest means I want to
stay at the current RELEASE but want to have all patches like 7.0-RELEASE-p1)?
Or results an updating process of the source tree always in a switch to STABLE
or CURRENT (depending on the branch tag in CVSup config?)?

Many thanks in advance to everyone who puts me in the right direction. Before
posting to the list I read some documents (mainly the handbook), but maybe I
missed some small but important sentences. Thanks!

cheers,
Ede