On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 6:41 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Up to now, when I'm installing my FreeBSD boxes I download the latest RELEASE
> iso-image for my platform. These days I used 7.0-RELEASE. For security fixes
> I use the provided patches as mentioned in the security advisories.
>
> Since a long time I'm asking myself the following questions and I don't find
> answers in the handbook (e.g.
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/article.html) or
> other ressources:
>
> 1. Some SA's say that the a bug is corrected in a particular RELENG or
> RELEASE or a patched RELEASE. For example FreeBSD-SA-08:05.openssh states
> that >>RELENG_7_0, 7.0-RELEASE-p1<<. But where can I get a -p1??? I've never
> seen iso-images for a x.y-RELEASE-pnn. Is this the time where I need to build
> a release (as iso-image) by myself? If so, what branch-tag do I need to get
> 7.0-RELEASE-p1?
>
> 2. I understood that there are two different development branches, >>HEAD aka
> CURRENT<< and >>STABLE<<. I avoid using these branches because I'm not a
> developer. Thats the reason why I only want to use RELEASES. But what the
> hell is a "RELENG"??? Why are these things not called 7.0-CURRENT or
> 7.0-STABLE and so on (and 7.0-RELEASE for me)? Maybe I've a problem to
> understand this because I'm not really familar with CVSup.
>
> 3. I played around with jails these days and I had my first contact with
> "make world". Despite the inconsistencies in the handbook where the
> jail-chapter instructs to use "make world" and the rebuilding world part
> warns explicitly and proposes "make buildworld" (but the Makefile tells me
> that the target >>world<< stands for "buildworld + installworld, no kernel"
> which seems okay?!), does it make sense to use "make buildworld" also when
> I'm not updating to another RELEASE? As it compiles everything on my machine
> (it autodetects my CPU and features?!) I guess the system should perform
> better?! Is it possible or common to update to the latest source tree (where
> latest means I want to stay at the current RELEASE but want to have all
> patches like 7.0-RELEASE-p1)? Or results an updating process of the source
> tree always in a switch to STABLE or CURRENT (depending on the branch tag in
> CVSup config?)?
>
> Many thanks in advance to everyone who puts me in the right direction. Before
> posting to the list I read some documents (mainly the handbook), but maybe I
> missed some small but important sentences. Thanks!
>
> cheers,
> Ede

There are two branches of FreeBSD. The STABLE branch, and the CURRENT
branch. The CURRENT branch is like the "alpha". It has the most-recent
code changes, and it is not very stable. The STABLE branch is more
stable, but it is still considered a development branch.
Every so often, the STABLE branch is considered stable enough to make
a new release version. All the RELEASE is, is a snapshot of the code
at a specific time.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html
^ That page explains all the RELENG tags, in terms of branches and releases.

For information on how to use CSup/CVSup, read this:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html