Edwin L. Culp wrote:
"Alexander Sack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió:

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Manolis Kiagias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Alexander Sack wrote:

Hello:

I have installed FreeBSD-7.0-amd64 stable on my new AMD X2 Turon based
notebook, a MSI-1710A (GX710Ax) which has a generic embedded
controller.  During boot up I notice that ATH complains with:

ath_rate: version 1.2 <SampleRate bit-rate selection algorithm>
ath_hal: 0.9.20.3 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413, RF5413) ath0: <Atheros 5424/2424> mem 0xfd7f0000-0xfd7fffff irq 16 at device 0.0
on pci2
ath0: Reserved 0x10000 bytes for rid 0x10 type 3 at 0xfd7f0000
ath0: [MPSAFE]
ath0: [ITHREAD]
ath0: unable to attach hardware; HAL status 13
device_attach: ath0 attach returned 6

HAL status 13 from the header file seems to indicate that the
7.0-STABLE driver doesn't support my hardware revision.  Here is my
pciconf -l output:

Maybe you could try compiling a kernel with a newer hal. This is the kind of
hack we use on the eeepc. Have a look at this:

http://nighthack.org/wiki/EeeBSD

Thank you SO much for this link.  That's EXACTLY what I want to do
because I realize that this is a HAL problem.  I've been searching
like MAD where I could get an updated binary HAL for this chipset
(PCIe based).

That makes two of us ;)

My dmesg is very, very similar to yours and hoped that this would work.

ath0: <Atheros 5424/2424> mem 0xf2200000-0xf220ffff irq 19 at device 0.0 on pci5
ath0: Reserved 0x10000 bytes for rid 0x10 type 3 at 0xf2200000
ioapic0: routing intpin 19 (PCI IRQ 19) to vector 64
ath0: [MPSAFE]
ath0: [ITHREAD]
ath0: unable to attach hardware; HAL status 13
device_attach: ath0 attach returned 6

I followed the instructions from the web page, recompiled and it made no difference which really worries me that I must have done something wrong.

cd madwifi-ng-r2756+ar5007/hal
cp -R * /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/ath/

I did not erase it previously but am going to try that. I made no kern configuration changes to find that the hal is from contrib. Is there nothing else I should do?

Thanks,

Well, I have only tested this on the eeepc and can confirm it works.
Maybe different atheros chipset have other problems not directly related to the hal version. You do not need to do anything more that what is shown in the page: untar, replace the existing files, recompile / install kernel, reboot. If you got no errors during the kernel compilation phase, you can safely assume you did everything correctly, and the problem lies elsewhere.