Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल wrote:
Hi list,

I've two Intel Xeon dual core-based servers running 7.0-RELEASE-p1
(amd64). Those servers are running a software raid-1 using
geom_gmirror. Today, when I rebooted them twice with 'reboot' command,
raid-1 running on both servers got degraded to 0% + filesystem check
resulted in 4-5 lost non-critical files. Later I found out that
'reboot' is not a recommended way to reboot a system, and I should use
'shutdown -r now'.

Anyways, I'm thinking to use gjournal (in addition to gmirror) on both
servers to avoid such situation in future. I'm already using gjournal
on my desktop (with no gmirror) running FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p1
(amd64), with no issues. So, I wanted to know if gjournal + gmirror
combo is stable enough to be used on a servers.

And, if I go for gjournal, since I've an existing filesystem, I've to
create a separate gjournal slice, so is it okay to create that gjournal
slice on a non-gmirror backed storage, hmm...?

TIA

You should keep in mind that the space required for the journal depends on the usage load and not the size of the data provider. In other words, if you are using the default 1Gb journal size on your desktop, it may not be enough for a busy server.

I've used gjournal+gmirror on a machine - not anything really heavy loaded, but it has given me no problems. I first created the journals, and the gmirror-ed the entire disk. It works as you should expect. I have not tried creating the journal on a non-mirrored storage. I suppose this would work too, but I have no idea how safe it would be.