On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 22:39:19 +0300, Manolis Kiagias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tore Lund wrote:
>> Dimitris Giakoudis wrote:
>>> applied the settings and installed 'ports/x11-fonts/urwfonts' and
>>> everything is in Greek now. I have a problem though when viewing web
>>> pages that are encoded with el_GR, there are spaces among the
>>> letters and it is really ugly.
>>
>> Have you got examples of such web pages?  I read some Greek things on
>> the Net, and I have no problem with spaces among the letters.
>
> I know the symptom Dimitris describes and it is easily solved by
> installing truetype fonts like the webfonts port or your own truetype
> fonts in ~/.fonts Dimitris you may allso want to check your settings
> in your shell startup scripts i.e. (assuming bash)
>
> export LANG=el_GR.ISO8859-7
> or
> export LANG=el_GR.UTF-8

Good point.  I'm too sleepy right now (the coffee hasn't started kicking
in yet from a very early wake up), but it would be nice if we also added
a note to the article saying that it is important to have the correct
locale environment *before* the X server fires up, to make sure that all
X11 programs grok Greek.

Manolis, if you feel like it, and you get to it before I do later today,
can you add a note like this?  If you don't, I'll get around to it when
I finish some early morning errands.

- Giorgos