Steve Bertrand writes:

>  I am not in any which way certain changing major revision numbers
>  will affect the file system in any which way. I am also not very
>  knowledgeable in regards to inodes, but I do know that they can
>  run out before disk space does.

        It is my understanding that is certainly possible.  However, it
is usually limited to a small set of well-known cases of that
generate many small files; the canonical example is a news server
(e.g. inn) though a mail server (or the database back-end thereto)
might also qualify.

>  Off the top of my head, with no testing or researching behind me,
>  what happens if:
>
>  - stop mysqld
>  - note perms of filesystem
>  - cp -R /var/db /another/location/with/space
>  - rm -r /var/db/*
>  - fsck /dev/location-of-var

        Ahem - dismount partition before fsck, yes?

                                        Robert Huff