Hello List,

I need to write a backup script, and one of the required actions would be a
copy of the backup to an external firewire drive. I would like to make this
as easy as possible for the local staff, so i'd like to check whether the
drive is attached, if necessary mount it, copy over the backup  and unmount
it again, so that the local staff can swap the external disks when they're
not used.

Is there a canonical way to achieve what i want? I played with the idea of
simply checking for /dev/da0s1d's existance, but that won't disappear on
disconnect,

won't disappear on disconnect? strange.

you may add something to devd.conf - so your script will be started on attach.