Paul Schmehl wrote:

What version of FreeBSD are you running?
7.0-Release
If 7.0 STABLE, you should probably csup source and rebuild kernel and world. I had a similar problem with the early release and it was related to usb devices not being detected (which sounds like what your problem is.)

BTW, I don't have anything in /etc/rc.conf regarding a mouse. If you enable moused, you're overriding the default behavior of the usb mouse and forcing it to behave according to your dictates.

The mouse should work in Xorg without anything entered in /etc/rc.conf.

Yep, you're right. I commented out the lines regarding the mouse in the rc.conf and the mouse works fine in gnome.
--
Chip

The first thing you should do is go to the console, unplug and then replug the mouse. You should see the mouse being disconnected and then re-detected by messages written to console. If you don't see that, your usb mouse isn't being detected properly.

Paul Schmehl
If it isn't already obvious,
my opinions are my own and not
those of my employer.