On Jun 27, 2008, at 6:12 PM, John Almberg wrote:

John Almberg wrote:
I log into my remote server using ssh. As I understand it, this gets me into a pseudo terminal. Is there any I can easily switch to another pseudo terminal, in the same way you can switch to another virtual terminal if you are logged into a local machine?

Even better, is there a way to split a ssh console so you can see both and switch between pseudo terminals with a couple of keystrokes? (Kinda like vi split screen?)

-- John

/usr/ports/sysutils/screen

Wow... be careful what you wish for! I've been wishing for something like this for awhile. And now that you've pointed it out, I see it's documented in BSD Hacks (a new book that I haven't spent enough time with, yet)

Thanks!

Oooooo.... cool! Just worked through the tutorial in BSD Hacks (excellent book, BTW). Screen does what I wanted in a very, very simple way. An it has a whole bunch of other features that are a bit more complicated, but very useful.

Can't believe I've never found this before. Very nice...

-- John