Mukarram Syed wrote:
Hi BSD Gurus.

I am in dire need of your help today.

I purchased an iomega NAS device which runs on FreeBSD.  I happened to
incorrectly change root password and now I am stuck.  I am not a FreeBSD expert
to figure this out.

This device does not have a USB connecter nor a cdrom drive. It only has
Keyboard, Video and RS232 connector along with a couple of RJ45's for network
access.
Having said that,  I have tried the following after doing a lot of researching
on the internet:
I could get to to this stage, bootloader stage 2:

FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
     Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
     boot:

At the boot: prompt I am trying to get into single user mode by typing boot: /kernel -s

It does go into single user mode, I think and I get the following display:

"Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:"

At this point when I type RETURN or /bin/sh nothing gets echoed to the screen.
I think if I could get to proceed from this point, I could be saved.

However when I type ? at the boot: prompt, I get to see a number of options:

. .. dev kernel etc cdrom proc dist bin boot mnt modules root sbin tmp user sys
.cshrc
.profile COPYRIGHT model compat u3 lost+found markversion home cgi-bin share1
share2
share3 share4 ... share 16

I none of above options work at the boot: prompt. The only things that work are /kernel and /boot/loader.

Any any ideas to get me to type something here at the "single user prompt" would be helpful or any other suggestions you might have...like be able to use the RS232 to
connect an external CDRom drive or something so I could boot off the cd in
rescue mode or any other ideas.

iomega is not giving me any support since this product is out of warranty and
they don't support it any more...not even for a price.

Appreciate any of the FreeBSD experts helping me out here.

 Mukarram Syed
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mukarram,

What does it say in the 2-3 lines above the shell path request? That's important information to help you get past it.

Sometimes pressing control-D will skip you past it (after you press enter).

Please advise,
Ryan