On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 7:30 AM, Bill Moran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I have a computer that is in a situation where it is losing power
>> occasionally. All but one of the filesystems are going along fine.
>> Once file system seems to lose data on a power outage. Even if it only
>> reads a file, and doesn't write it, it may still lose a file (ex,
>> about half the audio files on my xmms playlist, a couple data files in
>> my wine directory that, to my knowledge, are unlikely to be written
>> after they are first installed).
>>
>> What I'd like to do is get an output of the flags and options on my
>> filesystems to see what is different between that filesystem and the
>> others. Any suggestion on how to do that? This particular FS has
>> lasted through several rebuilds since it doesn't hold OS critical
>> stuff, just data files.
>
> tunefs -p and/or dumpfs -m
>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Sounds like you're on the right track with hunting this down.  Perhaps
> turn softupdates off and mount the filesystem sync if you're seeing
> lots of power outages.
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> http://www.potentialtech.com

Thanks, it looks like the 'good' filesystems have softupdates off
(except one), and the one the broke has it off. I thought softupdates
were supposed to fix this? Is gjournal a better solution? Is 'just use
neither' a better solution? Any reference material on the subject
would be appreciated (I'm about to use google now).

Thanks,
-Jim Stapleton