--On July 2, 2008 5:51:06 PM -0400 Sean Cavanaugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:55:58 -0500
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC:
Subject: Upgrade and change distro?

I have a dual core Intel server running 6.1 RELEASE i386.  I want to
update it to 7.0 RELEASE.  Can I also switch to the AMD release at the
same time?  (It's my understanding that all dual core processors should
be  running AMD not i386.)

If so, do I simply point to the GENERIC kernconf under AMD?  Any
gotchas?

AMD64 is for 64-bit chips from AMD and Intel. whether it is multi-core
is beside. run i386 still if you want/need 32-bit operating system.
there are some features and programs that will NOT work with AMD64.

Thanks, Sean.  Maybe I'll understand FreeBSD some day.  :-)

Will I need to rebuild all my ports after compiling the kernel and world?

Paul Schmehl
If it isn't already obvious,
my opinions are my own and not
those of my employer.