On Jul 6, 2008, at 4:58 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

John Almberg wrote:

[snip]

In the second case, it's really just about competition for resources. I
suspect that you could have achieved a pretty good speed-up simply by
adding another hard drive to your server and moving all of the database
onto it, separate from the web root and any other areas which apache
would be doing a lot of read/write operations on.

When I go back and look at the original top output for the single machine I note that it's out of RAM. It looks to me like apache and mysqld were contending over memory.

-- Chris

--
Chris Hilton                                   chris-at-vindaloo-dot-com