point:

On Thursday 12 June 2008 07:37:06 am Wojciech Puchar wrote:
you must have disks dedicated for raidz, disks dedicated for mirrored
storage and disks dedicated for unprotected storage. it's inflexible
and not much usable.

actually - much less usable than "legacy"
gmirror/gstripe/gconcat+bsdlabel.

looks like my mistake - or simply a shortcut that made statement imprecise.

it should be added:
----

ZFS can be installed on partitions and share disks with other things, but the performance will be bad.

ZFS - contrary to every other filesystem that use FreeBSD disk I/O scheduler - does it's own I/O scheduling, so it assumes it's the only user of physical drive.

if both non-ZFS and ZFS filesystem will share the same disk AT THE SAME TIME - there will be a lots of thrashing.