I've run into a bit of a problem and if I don't solve it soon, I'm going to be without e-mail (and so will a lot of other people). This is a bit long, I'm trying to include anything that may help.

The problem is that qmail-smtpd and/or rblsmtpd get stuck and don't close. After a while the server just quits accepting smtp connections, or will connect/disconnect very quickly (connection closed by foreign host). Using kill on these processes just opens another instance of them (they're managed by /var/service). Since I'm not seeing any log activity that shows what's going on, I'm having a hard time figuring it out. I know the processes are supposed to be timing out and closing, but don't seem to be doing that

Has anyone seen this problem? I've tried searching for info on it, but can't find anything that looks similar. I currently have rblsmtpd disabled since it sits between the outside world and qmail-smtpd. The errors don't occur quickly, it seems to take multiple hours to occur so this is hard to debug because I can't create the problem on demand. Any ideas are welcome. (hopefully I'll be able to get mail from this address long enough to fix this - it's one of the ones that's been moved to this machine already)

uname -a
FreeBSD ns1.pchotshots.com 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 10:35:36 UTC 2008 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

Related ports in use:
ucspi-tcp-0.88_2
qmail-1.03_7
qmailadmin-1.2.10,1
vpopmail-5.4.26_1
dovecote-1.0.14

A quick bit of history:
Our email/dns provider is closing up shop in about a week (good friend of mine was a small ISP). I only had about 3 weeks notice on this and I've been configuring a pair of FreeBSD machines (I posted to the list a couple weeks ago, thanks everyone for good replies, ) to take over DNS and E-Mail for about a dozen sites. Basically I've been on a crash course of learning as I go.

I hate responding to my own message, but I think I've finally found the solution.

I'm using Matt Simerson's Mail Toaster package. The file "toaster.conf" file needs to be 644 so that when rotating logs, the programs can re-read the config. Apparently all of the hanging files were dying because they couldn't read the config and crashed. Once crashed the supervisor decided it needed to start a new copy, which would crash as soon as something connected to it, and so on. This also seems to have fixed a problem where some e-mails would get stuck in the queue and never leave. They've all been delivered/deleted like they should now.

I got lucky in finding this. I happened to spot the rotated log file staying empty within a few minutes of seeing the hung processes starting to stack up. It gave me a good starting point to googling for a solution.