You hit on my key point... maintainability... i feel FreeBSD ports,  Debians
based APT systems, Arch, and to an extent Gentoo, are maintainable, Gentoo
in my opinion being the least so, why .... the portage system, though
useable is not 100% admin freindly in my opinion. Notice i said in my
"opinion". I did not say it wasnt functional, but there is a learning curve
to becoming a serious Gentoo administrator, where with FreeBSD
ports/packages, and Debians APT that curve is far less. case in point, give
a windows admin 3-4 systems, one Debian, one FreeBSD, One Gentoo, One
SLackware, one RPM based for 60 days, in the end youll see which they prefer
because they find the learning curve far less and get more accomplished in
productions with, trust me, this has been tried and proven many times, its
great for finding employees potential capacities. and in the end... I have
found all people tested choose FreeBSD, then a Debian based derivitive, why
because maintenance capabilities on these systems far out stretches the
rest. its just easier to do. lreaving more time for focusing on production
efficiency. i may be painful for them but in the end, your employees will
get more accomplished when you choose the right OS.