Mike Clarke wrote:
On Sunday 13 July 2008, Manolis Kiagias wrote:

As far as I know, pkg_add will only fetch dependencies recursively
from the Internet when used with -r but it will then ignore PKG_PATH.
Seems what you are asking cannot be done this way, but I might be
wrong.

I wonder if portinstall -P (or even -PP) might do what the OP wants?

I am using portupgrade for upgrading from source myself, but have never used portinstall with packages. You are correct, according to the man page, portinstall -PP would be his best bet.