John, it is not a permissions issue, but rather a path issue.
Do as the other poster suggested and run a cron job to dump the
environment and you will see that the PATH inside a cron job is very
rudimentary. Either add what you need to it in the crontab or cron
job, or always use absolute paths for everything in a cron entry.
alternatively, set up an AT job as the user, then find the script
generated by at and grab a copy (/var/spool/cron ???). You can use
that copy as the basis for all cron scripts for that user, and always
have the 'user' environment set up correctly.
Yes, I finally figured this out. I had the problem completely
backwards... I assumed that when I ran 'su user', I was logged in as
the user. Since the command worked when I was 'logged in' and didn't
work for crontab, I figured crontab must be different. It never
occured to me that *I* was running in a different environment :-)
If I had realized, a quick read of the su man page would have solved
my problem. As it was, I had been shown su long ago by another admin,
and just assumed I knew how it worked. Wrong!
Well, that's the joys of being of newbie administrator... So little
time, so many man pages to read!
email@example.com mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"