David Newman wrote:
Mark Boolootian wrote:

which leads me to conclude I've got -p3, including the BIND update.
However 'uname -a' says something else:

FreeBSD mumble.ucsc.edu 7.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p2 #0: Wed Jun 18 07:33:20 UTC 2008 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

And although /usr/sbin/named has been updated, it appears not to have
been upgraded:

$ /usr/sbin/named -v
BIND 9.4.2

Thoughts?

You've got p3, don't worry. There was no kernel update in p3, hence you got the p2 GENERIC kernel. If you want uname to actually show p3,
you will have to recompile your kernel

Shouldn't freebsd-update do this, not only for the kernel and named and whatever else it updates?

I'm relatively new to freebsd-update, and while I appreciate its speed advantange over make buildworld/buildkernel, it's confusing when it applies updates but does not display correct version numbers.

dn

This is not a problem with freebsd-update. The kernel has not changed between -p2 and -p3, so freebsd-update will not get you an updated one. If you recompile the kernel afterwards, it will show -p3 because of the change in /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh (this changes everytime freebsd-update gets new updates, regardless of whether the kernel is updated or not). So, simply by recompiling the kernel you will get the -p3 indication, though nothing much else in this case.

When an update *does* include a new kernel *and* you are running a GENERIC kernel, freebsd-update will update it. If you are running your custom kernel, you will have to recompile anyway.

Also note that you need to have the relevant parts installed for freebsd-update to update them. For example, if you don't have the kernel sources installed, freebsd-update will *not* download and install them for you.